January 30, 2012

Of Walks and Strawberries

http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenu/4258718511/
   I was taking a walk down a sunny dirt road with Jesus, admiring the little flowers that grew bravely in the ditch and listening to a bird cheerily whistle his song when for no reason in particular I became restless. I felt like I had to do something, or go somewhere, and in a hurry. I turned towards my Maker.
"Hey Jesus?" I asked
"Yes Shalene?" He replied
"Why haven't we been on any adventures lately? I mean, this whole just walking around quietly can get old pretty fast."
"Why would you think we're not on an adventure right now?" He asked as He bent down, plucked a piece of grass and began chewing on it.
"Because we aren't doing anything new and exciting I guess." I replied.
We veered off into the ditch, and hopped a fence into a field. I heard Jesus began to quietly recite

"There is an appointed time for everything. 
And there is a time for every event under heaven—
 A time to give birth and a time to die;
A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted. 
A time to kill and a time to heal;
A time to tear down and a time to build up. 
A time to weep and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn and a time to dance. 
A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing. 
A time to search and a time to give up as lost;
A time to keep and a time to throw away. 
A time to tear apart and a time to sew together;
A time to be silent and a time to speak. 
A time to love and a time to hate;
A time for war and a time for peace."

He turned and looked at me with a smile and continued "A time for exciting adventures, and a time for not-so-exciting adventures."
"Are you saying we're on an adventure right now?"
"Of sorts." He replied. "No matter where you are or what you are doing, as long as you're with me, you are on an adventure, and there is something I have for you to learn from it."
   It made sense to me. So as we plopped down in a patch of wild strawberries and began eating them, I tried to fathom what I was supposed to learn from walking through fields and eating small red berries. After some deliberation, I turned to Jesus and said
"I think I might know what it is you are trying to teach me."
"Oh really? What?"
"I think it has something to do with patience, and resting - perhaps with being content as well. You know, just being happy with what I have, and where I am, no matter where or what it is. Not having to always be going somewhere or doing something - just sitting quietly with you and listening."
Jesus eyes sparkled at me
"Good guess." He said as He handed me an extra large strawberry He had found. "I love it when people just sit and spend time with me. It's the best way to get to know someone."
"Kinda like celebrities huh?" I asked as I popped the berry in my mouth "You can know all about them, where they live, what they like or don't like, you can read their biographies, and what they've been up to, but if you don't actually spend time with them, you can't really know them, and they will never know you!"
After a short pause, Jesus looked over at me and asked
"So, you wanna go do something?"
I smiled.
"Actually, I'm really enjoying this time of just sitting and being with you."
"Perfect." said Jesus. "Me too."

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful. It made me cry. Thanks Jesus. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought of writing a book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say that writing a book has never occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...